Nov 7th, 2017
In this epsiode I share some thoughts on the motive behind the recent mass shooting in Texas, as well as violence in general. I talk about the importance of the recognition of one's innate value in being able to value others. I also talk about survival, and the need for ethics, philosophy and virtue to make a comeback in our society.
I share an empowering quote from Ayn Rand, talk about her ideas, and debunk many of the misconceptions about her work and how I feel it is important to understand given todays socio-political situation.
..Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours.
Some notes on Ayn Rand:
warned against big government back when governments were 5% of what they are today
- welfare state will increase poverty: a redistribution of wealth via the welfare state (socialism) will not solve poverty but create a dependant underclass
- imperialism will lead to disaster
- public education will worsen
- crony capitalist with no morals will take control of the government
- the elements of “capitalism” today that most people hate and protest against were all incessantly warned against and predicted BY Ayn Rand.
- Rand believed the source of wealth is free trade and property rights. Economists for decades have established that the more FREE MARKET there is, the more economic growth and abundance there is.
- She argued for the rights of women and against racism which she equated to tribalism decades before civil rights and classical feminism became hot political issues.